my pain and sadness is more sad and painful than yours*

 

my pain and sadness is more sad and painful than yours*

*exceptions apply


How are you all doing? Well, I hope, and better, in some cases.

If you don't mind - like with much of my/our music - I'll dive right in. 

For the last four months I've been living with sciatica, and by that I don't mean that Julia's moved out to be replaced by a mysterious new friend that goes halvesies on Sky Sports and occasionally leaves the front door open when coming home pissed. No no no - if only! (Hey, Sky Sports is expensive). Sciatica it turns out, is an even more aggressive housemate than an Australian - it removes everything from your life and it does it in a series of sharp tearing sensations and/or bouts of unending soreness so fantastically vivd that I fantasise every day about cutting my leg off. I haven't slept in any real sense for three months now, can't play with my precious, incredible daughter-child-thing for longer than a minute and have been told (and this is the least sad bit, i'm sure you'll agree) that I can probably never run again, which is a shame because running is probably my favourite thing to do which doesn't involve standing on stage and shouting at people, albeit people who have consented to be shouted at, which is the only real way that relationship works. 

Still, enough of my gassing on - there's been enough of that on twitter recently because it turns out that a cocktail of drugs - and normally 2 ibuprofen is my idea of a crazy night in - is good for the confessional instincts, particularly codeine which should be renamed 'truth serum with added constipation and dizzy spells' (see, I did it again, shut the fuck up man). Yes, my point - and there was a point, there usually is - is that music, that seemingly random collection of notes and words that probably brought most of you here via the stupid/silly/occasionally coherent songs that I've put my name to over the years is magic, is motherfucking magic, and has, in the last few months, saved my life. 

Dramatic much? Sure (and, yes, writing 'dramatic much' made my skin crawl, you know me too well). Most days I'm up at 2am, cramped, wincing, in pain, and I limp down to my desk and start to make music (quietly, at that time, listening mostly, considering the sleeping wife and child just a room point five away). It doesn't always work of course - most songs, most acts of creation, are by definition (jargon alert) shite, wanky facsimiles of ideas that have come before or, more often than not, just bad, cliched, leaden, pissy, shitty, boring and other words which could easily be applied to the oeuvre of the Smashing Pumpkins (*1). The key is to keep working, to keep at it, and - cliche alert - to make hay while the sun, as it sometimes does, shines upon your bounteous fields of fuck-jars.

I won't extend that metaphor. It would shame us all.

Some file names (I work on Logic Pro) can really give you a flavour of some of the non-wonders contained therein - 'Fugazi_awful_14' and 'haveawordwithyourselffuckinghell' being particular favourites I return to from time to time, just to establish where the low is, but in general the last few months (until the last week, when the pain has been particularly piquant(*3) have been the most fun and prolific of my life.(*4)

And y'know what? When those songs are coming - even the shit ones, especially the shit ones - the pain goes away, it fucks off, it leaves me alone, and I'm left with my old body and my old mind and then I remember that it's not exclusively my old body, that it's not exclusively my old mind, and that'll have them back and one day I'll be able to play with my daughter again, to sit (it's been seven weeks without sitting now) and to find my way back to one of those stages I mentioned earlier, if they still fucking exist after this up-tempo shit-show of nightmare disease and administrative incompetence, to shout once again at consenting adults in small to medium size rooms and argue about riders and bend the fuck over without feeling as if I was being stabbed in the ankle by a million heated pins ...

Music is magic. It has healing qualities. Whether nuts (other bits are available) deep in your own thing, or listening to Devo in the park, or Mazzy Star in the Dark, or Morrissey ... *cough* ... or the saxophonist (and I generally DO NOT saxophone(*5) who hangs about next to the all-weather pitches round here and improvises over what seems to be a series of extreme brain malfunctions, music is magic, is witchcraft, is a portal to a world of memory and possibility and, and ...

I really should fuck off. I've got more songs to write.

falco

ps. obviously, this is written in the middle (pretty sure it is the middle too) of a global pandemic and I understand that some people are going through even worse times, and I feel sorry (a) for them and (b) for the thought it even needs to be said, since constant good faith caveatting is exhausting. little rant there for the soul, for the peanut gallery. *clears throat* hey, what's the deal with airline food? etc.

pps. working on lots of the written-written things too, as this particularly incredible sentence would indicate. no rush though, and if it's just the music you're about for then fair fucking play to you indeed, love you anyway.

I really do hope you are all keeping well.


notes -

(*1) guys, this is just a bit(*2)

(*2) it's not

(*3) not really the correct word, but I've to wanted to use it for weeks and here we are

(*4) for the interested, 73 songs - 48 of them distinctly, by my standards at least, un-shitty, 14 or 15 of them the best I've ever put my name to, for mclusky, future of the left and my solo-not-solo thing 'christian fitness'

(*5) this can be a verb, I reckon. hey, it can be a fucking elephant if it wants. 


Comments

  1. by the way - as wonderful as it is, unless you have a free house on you no-one needs to offer to help . the NHS have taken some persuading, it must be said, but hopefully everything is in hand even if the immediate reality is absolutely fucking awful, and by that I mean exactly those words, x

    ReplyDelete
  2. got to add- there are some terrific people out there, and I'm lucky enough to know a couple in different time zones, which is lovely. also, I just discovered 'taskmaster' on all4 so all good for laughing, when the sciatic nerve allows

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really sorry to hear that Falco - your twitter feed would suggest that you've been in a lot of pain recently and sciatica is a horrible diagnosis.

    Good luck with any treatment or respite you can get amigo, your thoughts are as coherent and sharp as ever; more than welcome in such the shit situation we all find ourselves in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a ride to be on: pain, inspiration, thefeelinoflosingonesfamilywhilebeingjustnextotthem, hope; ... at least still x73 songs/units to go (letter x is s number in this upsidedown post/world). keep hope, enjoy le fam cause immeasurably&alwaysnear and so objectively the best(:)) and keep posting (please)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Torn between wishing you a speedy recovery and (based on the quality of the creative output) hoping the suffering continues to keep us in belters for a while. Your choice! Maybe I’ll wish for you to have your cake and for you to eat it. Also (twitch) I can’t for the shit of me find asterisk no.2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sciatica housemate sounds familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Taskmaster is pretty epic. A is the musical pop combo The Horne Section, if your eardroves need food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are part of my musical landscape for the past 19 years or so - (fall of 2001). To me it opened up a whole new world of sounds and possibilities to go (in a musical sense). I guess that’s what people must have felt when they first heard The Pixies. I worshipped mclusky (and still do to this day!). Almost every other band tagged 'noise rock' has been a disappointment since then. Now I know that was because of my misunderstanding of that term. Mclusky does have a mighty portion of pop elements to them. I consider FOTL more experimental and less straight forward, especially later albums. A musical approach that one appreciates more, the deeper you get into it and try to understand it. Though very enjoyable, I also welcomed back the more simple structure of CF. Also the CF project is one of those that started to reignite my wish of learning to do music by myself. A few years later I bought a proper guitar, and whenever I have the time I try to learn new things on it. Already got some fragments, which I hope to evolve into proper songs someday.

    Further your sometimes cryptic nonsensical lyrics (with meaning) have been deeply amusing and other bits and pieces have been wise cracking life advices that either worked well for me or my psyche!

    I cannot believe I've been following you for so long. You've got a well deserved fanbase following you and I am certain you know to appreciate them. And yet, you might not even fully understand what you and your creations can mean to someone else. I was 14 years old when I got into mclusky. Even if I didn't understand everything about it back then (and I certainly didn't due to language barriers and cultural differences), I somehow felt that I got 'it' immediately. Whatever 'it' means in that case. I'd like to think about it maybe like an older brother who tells you how the world works and not to take it too serious when its shit eventually hits you hard in the face, but be sure to be super pissed about it, because there's no other way to deal with it.

    Maybe I am reading too much into it, maybe it was that certain time in my teenage years or maybe it was that special kind of music only I knew about. Maybe it was all of those things or none of it. But it triggered something in me that I still feel and connect with your music today. Altogether this may sound banal, but it means a whole lot more to me than I could ever put into words!

    I hope to cheer you up with this and I wish you well. Hope to have you back as healthy as possible in the foreseeable future!

    gapu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's very lovely gapu, thankyou, and yes, it has cheered me up. maybe your connection to it is in part a function of the time it came into your life, maybe, but I thank you for the clarity and coherence of your words. you have a lovely day - have a bonus ice-cream or something. x

      Delete
    2. I couldn't have said all this better and therefore here I am butting in to say more things. It wasn't until Plot Against came out for me; a friend played it and I lost my mind. 100% why I finally started writing music after staring at blank pages for a decade. I was stuck in some weird zone of thinking I had to sing like a normal female but once I finally started shouting inanities in a regional accent it all came pouring out.

      Delete
  9. Aw Falco man, I wondered whit yer pain was but sciatica says it all. I had it bad a few years back and it's hell on earth. It's all consuming.And yer right, at it's worst, losing the leg doesn't seem like a crazy idea. I hope yours goes the same way as mine and yer out running again in the not too distant future. Thank christ the music gives you respite. Hang in there bud

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, for one, could see a Corgan-operated rickshaw as a worthy kickstarter to get you around town. This is an evergreen comment. Sending healing vibes (I live in Los Angeles now, so I'm required by the State of California to use the phrase, tough as it may be to swallow).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear Falco. Me and and friends are still cheering over memories discovering the wonders of the internet via the angry cats video of light saber cock sucking blues. And I still make new wonderful memories thanks to the new stuff you put out. I hope you get well soon, and I cannot wait to listen to the stuff you've been recording. Alot of your songs brings a ton of joy and wonder.

    Btw. Heard of Wim Hof breathing*? I use it to kill my stress and heard people using for all sorts of pain (If just for a moment of relief). https://www.reddit.com/r/Sciatica/comments/iwyna1/sciatica_for_3_months_now_started_wim_hof_method/

    Here's a video on how to. Just 10min, and you're not joining any church.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tybOi4hjZFQ

    *The cold showers/ice baths are also said to have some effect. if you're into such stuff hurr hurr

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to 2020. The world has gone to hell in a facemask, verbs and nouns are interchangeable but Falco has started writing again. Thank fuck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really sorry to hear about your running. As someone whose mental health is probably quite dependent on running, I know that's a pretty cruel thing for fate to take away from you. I really hope it's temporary.
    My back went properly once and I was bedridden. I'll never-ending forget feeling like a piece of paper being torn in two. Again, hoping this is something you can conquer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Division 9 indie-rock band-being tips (pt.1?)

Update and Shake October 21st 2020